- 1 onion cooked gently in a bit of water to soften
- 175 g (6oz) Cheddar cheese (Lancashire cheese is very nice too)
- Season to taste but bear in mind cheese is quite salt
- 2 sheets of ready-made shortcrust or puff pastry
- Egg or milk for brushing over the pastry.
1 oven proof plate not too deep.
- Preheat the oven to 200℃ (180℃ fan)/400°F/gas mark 6.
- Grate the cheese and add to the pastry case on the plate, when the onions are translucent add them too. Season to taste. We just add black pepper as the cheese is quite salty.
- Using a pastry brush, paint the edge of the pastry with a little milk. Use a rolling pin to lift the rolled out pastry and lay over the filled pie plate. gently press the edges together to seal and trim away the excess pastry. Brush the top with a little milk and cut a small slit in the middle to allow steam to escape.
- Bake the pie in the oven for 30 - 35 minutes until the pastry is cooked through and a beautiful golden colour. You may need to rotate the pie halfway through the bake. Remove from the oven once cooked and allow to cool for 5 minutes before cutting into it and serving
Goes well with mushy peas. You can also add potato to the mix.